BACK by Ann-Sofie Back
SWEDISH fashion designer Ann-Sofie Back is known for her imaginative approach to fashion - zombies took to her autumn/winter 2009-10 catwalk and porn, and later the idea of cars as porn, inspired her first two collections for her Ann-Sofie Back Atelier label. Brought up in the suburbs of Stockholm, Back studied fashion design at Beckman's College of Design before completing an MA in fashion design at London's Central Saint Martins - from which she graduated in 1998.
- Ann-Sofie Back launched her eponymous label in 2001. In 2005, she launched Back, a secondary line with a more accessible price point. Signature pieces play with the silhouette in a humorous yet wearable way.
- In 2009, Back was appointed the joint creative director of denim brand Cheap Monday, alongside its founder Örjan Andersson.
- In the same year, a "hostage" store was opened in Stockholm - in which monthly themed events took place, such as "crimes against fashion" and "horror night". The store was the first combined Ann-Sofie Back/Back store.
- Prior to her launching her own label, Back worked as a designer for Joe Casely Hayford in London, as well as at Acne Jeans.
- Not content with being just a designer, Back is a stylist and fashion editor for Self Service and Purple magazine among others.
- In October 2001, Back debuted her own ready-to-wear collection at the Purple institute in Paris, and after four seasons participating in the Paris shows, began showing in London during London Fashion Week. She continues to show in London.
- Fans of her creations include Chloe Sevigny, Daisy Lowe and singer Robyn.
- Back has taken part in group design and art shows that span London's ICA and the Victoria and Albert Museum, as well as Paris' Palais du Tokio and the Musee de la Mode de la Ville de Paris. Her work was included in the Reshape show, featuring on the official schedule of 2003's Venice Biennale.
- In 2004, a documentary entitled BACK was aired on Swedish National Television. It detailed the story of the label from the first show in Paris.
- Back has also designed capsule collections for Topshop in London.
- She was awarded the prestigious Goldbutton Award, the equivalent of the CFDA awards in Sweden and, such has been the success of her label, a stamp was produced in Sweden to celebrate.
- In 2007, she was nominated for the Swiss Textile Award.
Sources form http://www.vogue.co.uk/spy/biographies/ann-sofie-back
Available at Liger K11.